Noted philosopher and expert in management area Henry Fayol points out the following qualities:
· Physical- energy, firmness, willingness to accept responsibility, initiative, loyalty, tact, dignity.
· Mental- ability to understand and learn; judgement, mental vigour and adaptability;
· Moral- energy, firmness, willingness to accept responsibility, initiative, loyalty, tact, dignity;
· Educational- general acquaintance with matters not belongingexclusively to the function performed;
· Technical- peculiar to the function; and
· Experience- arising from the work proper
The personnel manager should possess all the qualities required of a manager for his effective function. However, the personnel manager should possess human relation skills in greater degrees as he is to deal more with the human relations matters.
To be more specific, the qualities required for an effective HRD manager are listed as:
· Human Approach- The HRD manager should have a judicious human approach to human problems. His attitude towards the general problems of employees should be rational and sympathetic while dealing with their problems
· Active and Alert- The HRD manager should be alert and active most of the times while dealing with workforce.
· Honest- The HRD manager should be honest in his approach while dealing with the problems of employees working in his organisation.
· Quick Decision Making- The HRD manager should be quick in decision making to various problems of employees working in his organisation
· Humorous Nature- The HRD manager should be jolly and should not lose temper
· Good Qualities of a Leader- The HRD manager should be a capable leader so as to guide the subordinate towards the organisational goals which are needed to increase profitability
· Social Responsibility- The HRD manager should be well-versed in the social responsibilities so as to help his subordinates in discharging their social responsibilities
· Courteous- The HRD manager should be courteous while dealing with employees, trade unions and persons from the media.